Federation Square, Melbourne, Victoria
Waterman undertook the engineering services design, documentation and construction phase services for the complete Federation Square complex that included theatres, restaurants, galleries and commercial office space.
The complex incorporates many innovative and specialised engineering systems to cater for the multi-functional use.
Particularly innovative aspects of the services design include:
• A services reticulation strategy around the site that allowed flexible supplies to the multi-use plaza buildings.
• A number of unique environmental initiatives including a labyrinth.
• A unique solution to the conditioning of art gallery spaces involving thermal mass.
• Fire protection services to allow for large open interconnected public spaces.
• Comprehensive multimedia integration.
• Specialised lighting and security systems