Associate Director Due Diligence, Climate Resilience & Responsible Investment
Waterman Infrastructure & Environment
Location: Flexible, though very regular attendance at our London office is expected.
Salary: Competitive, according to skills and experience
Waterman Infrastructure and Environment (WIE) is a multidisciplinary consultancy providing sustainable solutions in the infrastructure and environment markets. WIE is increasing its focus on climate resilience, supporting private and public infrastructure clients on mitigation and achieving Net Zero as well as preparing for both the transition and physical risks of climate change. WIE has award-winning technical expertise across a range of disciplines – including Air Quality, Ecology, Environmental Assessments, Transport and Waste.
WIE is one of the leading environmental consultancies and its Environmental Management and Due Diligence team provides transactional support to banks, property, private equity, infrastructure and blue-chip clients. Our multinational clients have a diverse range of operations throughout the world, which require coordinated support at a local level.
Through our global network of offices and our understanding of the local environment and culture, Waterman Environmental provides bespoke solutions, advising on environmental, health, safety, technical and planning issues, to help clients manage their business risks, whether in-country or cross boundary.
The candidate will lead projects across Environmental and Health and Safety Due Diligence, wider sustainability (ESG/Responsible Investment) as well as corporate Climate resilience projects. The team provides primarily environmental screening reports (e.g. EnviroRisk Wizard), desk-based assessments, EHS audits (Phase 1s, compliance reviews, ESG sustainability assessments) in support of M&A transactions, refinancing and fund mandates. They also work with a wide range of corporate clients to develop their ESG strategies, from policy development to risk identification tools, performance monitoring, reporting and training. In addition, the team is providing an increasing number of clients with new tools, analysis and strategic advice related to climate resilience including – corporate Net Zero target setting, climate scenario modelling and climate resilience reporting including for TCFD purposes.
The ideal candidate will have a strong Environmental (and ideally Health & Safety) Due Diligence auditing background and ideally some experience of ESG/Responsible Investment support. Good organisational and communication skills are essential, with a strong commercial understanding as the majority of our work focuses on identifying and quantifying environmental risks for legal and financial purposes. Experience of working with private equity clients and/or institutional investors would be a distinct advantage. A key component of the role will be the mentoring of project teams and liaison with clients from the financial and legal services sectors.
Lead the continued development of the EHS Due Diligence Service, including:
- Business development management of existing client base, cross-selling of opportunities with other disciplines, and identification/targeting of new clients/markets;
- Product and service innovation – working collaboratively with the Regional Director, and others, to continue the development of existing EHS service lines (including Greenspace) as well as specific target areas identified below;
- Financial management – including forecasting/budgeting and investment planning on a monthly and annual basis, invoicing and WIP management across a range of projects;
- Team management – including recruitment, mentoring and training of junior staff, and interaction with other disciplines on a project-specific basis; and
- Overseeing technical delivery – preparation of fee proposals, resource management in accordance with client timelines, managing H&S of staff (particularly during on-site activities), authoring and/or reviewing/sign off of technical report. Ideally this would include confident sign off for corporate DD work, Responsible Investment / ESG advisory services and property DD (with support from the Land Quality team as necessary).
(Preferred) Driving the continued development of our Responsible Investment/ESG advisory service including:
- Understanding of market drivers within the investment and corporate worlds, including recent regulatory requirements and best practice guidelines
- Understanding how to drive system implementation to recognised standards such as B-Corp, UNPRI and GRESB, from policy development through risk and opportunity identification to reporting and KPIs;
- Undertaking and managing Baseline performance reviews, including risk and opportunity identification across a range of sectors;
- Supporting clients in their annual reporting requirements (including but not necessarily restricted to those associated with B-Corp, UNPRI and/or GRESB) including identifying and actions for improving ratings;
- Training and upskilling the existing team in service delivery; and
- Working collaboratively with our external suppliers providing expert delivery support in this area.
(Preferred) Oversee the development of Corporate Climate Resilience Services including:
- Corporate level Net Zero strategy assessments and development, including competitor analysis; Scope 3 strategies; offset strategies.
- TCFD reporting and associated products and services such as climate scenario risk modelling.
- Development, marketing and conversion of opportunities in Climate Resilience applications for the Greenspace platform (www.legalregister.co.uk).
- Development, marketing and conversion of opportunities in new Climate Resilience corporate products and services, including for other internal WIE disciplines;
Identifying opportunities to work collaboratively with our external suppliers to provide excellent service delivery
- Team reporting to the Associate will be two Principal DD consultants, a Senior/Principal Climate Resilience Consultant (currently being recruited), a Consultant, a Graduate and Admin support.
- University Degree in a relevant discipline – such as environmental science, engineering, climate change.
- Significant experience (ten plus years*)
- Experience with communications related to Climate Change and Climate Resilience, including preparing high quality presentations, reports and blogs.
- Strong Technical knowledge
What’s on offer for you at Waterman
- Competitive salary with a range of voluntary and anytime benefits available to meet your own lifestyle choices via our salary sacrifice scheme
- Annual salary reviews
- Generous basic holiday allowance of 26 days (rising to 31 days with the accrual of loyalty days) in addition to bank holidays
- Fantastic training and development culture
All interviews are currently being carried out online to ensure the continued safety and welfare of our staff. During the current and ongoing pandemic our employees continue to work from home, where they are able to do so; and our offices remain open and covid secure for circumstances where remote working is not feasible and this is reviewed on a case to case basis.
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com or complete and submit the form below.
All applications will be treated in confidence.
Waterman is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity.
*where a level of experience is indicated, this is a guideline only and represents the amount of time we would usually expect a candidate to accumulate the requisite level of experience. This does not preclude applications from candidates with more or less experience.