Initially a 7 month contract for survey season (April – Oct)
Location: Leeds and Bristol offices
Waterman Group plc is a leading international multi-disciplinary engineering and environmental consultancy, providing sustainable solutions to meet the planning, engineering design and project delivery needs of the property, infrastructure, energy, and environmental markets. Due to our expanding workload Waterman Infrastructure & Environment are currently recruiting for contract Ecologists to strengthen our Teams in Leeds and Bristol. Whilst predominantly based in your local region, the role will include regular co-operation and inter-office working with other regional teams in line with Waterman’s ‘One Team’ culture.
This is an exciting opportunity for the chosen candidate to work within a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team on a wide range of high profile projects. The role will provide variety, working throughout the UK on residential and mixed-use development sites through to developments where smaller scale surveys and/ or technical advice is sought.
The successful candidate will be degree qualified with 1-4 years* relevant consultancy experience in the UK. Candidates will ideally possess and be able to demonstrate:
• A knowledge of ecological legislation and planning policy in the UK
• Membership of CIEEM
• Experience of coordinating and undertaking tasks for Preliminary Ecological Appraisals (PEA)
• Experience of coordinating and undertaking protected species and habitat surveys. Being able to undertake Breeding Bird Surveys would be an advantage.
• Hold at least one class survey licence for a European protected species (or working towards such)
• Having held or been an accredited agent on development licences for protected species within the last 3 years would be an advantage
• Excellent report writing skills for PEA reports, EcIA and BREEAM Assessments
• An understanding of the EIA process and have experience in undertaking or contributing to ES chapters would be an advantage
• The ability to engage in the scheme design process and provide ecological mitigation and enhancement recommendations
• The ability to work autonomously but also as part of a team, with good oral and written communication skills experienced in liaison with external parties and other design team members
• Hold a full UK driving licence and willing to travel throughout the UK for survey work.
We are looking for people who are excellent team players and have a proactive and positive attitude.
Waterman provide a competitive salary, a comprehensive range of both ‘voluntary’ and ‘anytime’ benefits’ to match your lifestyle choice and a friendly working environment with a strong team spirit and a good variety of project work.
Waterman is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity.
Please email covering letter and CV to email@example.com
All applications will be treated in confidence.
Closing date: 16 March 2018.
*where a level of experience is indicated, this is a guideline only and represents the amount of time we would usually expect a candidate to accumulate the requisite level of experience. This does not preclude applications from candidates with more or less experience.