Fire Engineer / Senior Fire Engineer
Location: Bristol or London
Salary: Competitive Salary plus a Flexible Benefits Package
Waterman’ Building Services Team has an opportunity for a Fire Engineer based in our Bristol or London office. You will be responsible for providing fire engineering input on a variety of projects, performing tasks ranging from undertaking individual risks assessments, fire engineered analysis including means of escape calculations and smoke modelling through to creating fire strategies for whole buildings and other structures.
Waterman Group has a proven track record of delivering advanced Fire Engineering services on a wide range of projects both in the UK and internationally. We tailor our approach to every project to suit the projects and clients requirements. Therefore; if the most efficient building in terms of fire safety provisions is sought, there are techniques we can employ to achieve this. These include Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) to model heat and smoke spread throughout the building and Structural Fire Engineering (SFE) to rationalise the applied structural fire protection.
In this role you will provide fire engineering input as part of a collaborative team on projects locally, nationally and internationally. You will be expected to implement and investigate appropriate legislation and design guidance for use on your projects, while learning to understand the total fire engineering concept: from the client brief through to construction and operation.
You will be expected to receive and manage various tasks entrusted to you by the Manager, and take a role in delegated project management responsibilities on projects and on research initiatives, while learning about business development and developing a network of colleagues both internally and externally to Watermans.
The projects will be diverse, exciting and range from conceptual fire strategy development through to handing over landmark projects in the built environment and advising clients on fire safety aspects of occupied buildings.
We are looking for someone who continually strives to achieve technical excellence and is capable of delivering quality fire safety solutions as part of a project team. You will need:
- a proven track record of working in the fire engineering field and assisting in the delivery of fire engineering solutions;
- the ability to implement the principles of fire engineering on real projects;
- to be able to implement and investigate appropriate legislation and design guidance for use on your projects;
- the ability to communicate effectively in written and verbal forms;
- to be proactive in your reporting to other team members;
to have the ability to be proactive in resolving issues, creating solutions, relying on others as required for assistance and experience.
Essential Education, Experience, Skills and Competencies:
- Degree in fire engineering or another relevant degree/equivalent qualification;
- Typically around 5 years’ experience in fire consultancy particularly within the retail, commercial and residential sectors;
- Comprehensively aware of appropriate legislation and design guidance for use in the UK;
- Clearly understand the total fire engineering concept: from the client brief through to construction and operation;
- Possess excellent report writing and communication skills.
- Post graduate qualification in a fire related subject (e.g. MSc, PhD);
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) experience;
- Structural fire engineering experience;
- Experience on site and the handover of large projects;
- Knowledge of codes other than those in the UK (e.g. NFPA);
- Active fire systems knowledge.
To apply, please complete and submit the form below.
All applications will be treated in confidence.
Waterman is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity.