Principal Flood Risk Modeller – London
Waterman Infrastructure & Environment
Location: London (hybrid working available)
Salary: Competitive, according to skills and experience
Are you an established Flood risk Modeller looking to take the next step in your career? Would you like to get involved with delivering some of the world’s most exciting projects and join a dynamic, growing team who are at the forefront of sustainable design? If so, we want you to join our Flood Risk team in London!
Based in our office a stone’s throw from Borough Market in the heart of Southwark’s thriving Bankside, our welcoming and diverse team are working on some of the most prestigious and innovative projects in the UK and across the world. From sustainability-focused offices and commercial premises to cutting-edge healthcare facilities and from award-winning retail developments to major new residential communities, you’ll have the opportunity to play a major role in delivering schemes across a huge range of sectors.
Our Flood Risk team is looking for a talented and ambitious specialist who is looking to establish themselves and join us as a Principal Modeller. You will work with a small team of modellers and flood risk engineers who produce FRAs for development projects in the private sector and increasingly flood studies in the public sector, an area we have unlimited recourse to grow further.
Waterman Infrastructure & Environment (WIE) continually seek to develop and nurture talent within the business, prioritising the development and promotion of internal staff into senior management roles.
This approach has proven successful and is delivered through a comprehensive programme of mentoring of our staff, whether they be Graduates or senior professionals within the team.
The WIE team are continually seeking motivated individuals to join and grow our established Flood Risk & Drainage team and help deliver the development and growth of our business.
Watermans are lucky enough to have worked on some high-profile projects over the years which has led us to become a market leader in Flood Risk Design. We work on hydraulic modelling and river engineering, working for private and public sector clients, and have the tools to help our team gain their relevant professional qualifications.
We offer CIWEM and ICE accredited training programmes and full support and mentoring to allow candidates to fulfil their potential and aspirations to becoming Chartered or Fellows.
Successful candidates will be provided with on-the-job training in technical and commercial matters. Training and opportunities in commercial project management, client relationship management, and business development will be offered to highly motivated candidates
Your core duties will include:
- Managing a team of Engineers and Technicians.
- Supervision and mentoring of junior members of staff.
- Attendance at client and design team meetings
- Preparation of fee proposals and support on major bids
- Involvement in business development activities.
- Carrying out conceptual designs and planning the design process.
- Participation in our in-house sub-committees.
Successful candidates will ideally be able to demonstrate qualifications, experience of skills in one or more of the following areas:
- 1D and 2D hydraulic modelling, particularly Flood Modeller and Tuflow
- Hydrology, in particular the Flood Estimation Handbook and ReFH2 and WINFAP
- Leading or providing key inputs to bids in the private and ideally public sectors
- Recognising and communicating flooding and drainage related constraints and opportunities for development sites
- Producing and reviewing a wide range of FRAs and ideally drainage strategies using MicroDrainage / InfoDrainage
- Good knowledge of the planning system, in particular policy and guidance including the NPPF and SuDS Manual
- Good knowledge of the water industry in both the public and private sectors
- River engineering and restoration experience would be beneficial
- Good financial control, project management and communication skills in a client facing role
- Experience mentoring junior staff
- Ability to write clear and concise reports
We are seeking an individual who aspires to help shape the future of Waterman. This role will allow you to put into practice your ability to be creative, motivate a team and impress clients. You already have a proven track record for delivering high quality designs but are at a stage in your career where you are ready to play a greater role, by managing more complex projects, interfacing with clients and getting involved in business development.
This is an exciting time for Waterman as we continue to support the delivery of a net zero built environment, whilst our own journey to net zero also gathers pace. Our innovative and collaborative culture means that you’ll get to work with experts from across our business to develop your ideas, and you’ll have the chance to put all the latest sustainable design techniques in to practice.
We’d love to hear from you if you’re passionate about structural design, are excited about taking the next step in your career and want to help shape the future of both our company and the built environment.
What’s on offer for you as and Principal Flood Risk Modeller:
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Annual salary reviews
- Generous basic holiday allowance of 26 days (rising to 31 days with the accrual of loyalty days) in addition to bank holidays
- Fantastic training and development culture
- ICE Training Agreement
- Opportunity to be client facing and to run exciting and varied projects
- Opportunity to undertake business development and marketing activities
- Fast tracked career progression for the right dynamic candidates
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter explaining why you’d be a great fit for our team to email@example.com, or complete and submit the form below. All applications will be treated in confidence. Waterman is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity.
About Waterman Group:
Waterman Group is a multidisciplinary consultancy providing private and public sector clients with sustainable solutions to meet the planning, engineering design and project delivery needs of the property, infrastructure, environment and energy markets.
Waterman is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity.
*where a level of experience is indicated, this is a guideline only and represents the amount of time we would usually expect a candidate to accumulate the requisite level of experience. This does not preclude applications from candidates with more or less experience.