Senior Flood Risk Engineer
Location: London (hybrid working available)
Salary: Competitive, according to skills and experience
Are you a specialist Flood Risk Engineer looking to take the next step in your career? Would you like to get involved with delivering some of the world’s most exciting projects and join a dynamic, growing team who are at the forefront of sustainable design? If so, we want you to join our Flood Risk team in London!
Based in our office a stone’s throw from Borough Market in the heart of Southwark’s thriving Bankside, our welcoming and diverse team are working on some of the most prestigious and innovative projects in the UK and across the world. From sustainability-focused offices and commercial premises to cutting-edge healthcare facilities and from award-winning retail developments to major new residential communities, you’ll have the opportunity to play a major role in delivering schemes across a huge range of sectors.
Waterman Infrastructure & Environment (WIE) continually seek to develop and nurture talent within the business, prioritising the development and promotion of internal staff into senior management roles. This approach has proven successful and is delivered through a comprehensive programme of mentoring of our staff, whether they be Graduates or senior professionals within the team.The WIE team are continually seeking motivated individuals to join and grow our established Flood Risk & Drainage team and help deliver the development and growth of our business.
You’ll be working collaboratively with the team to create Flood Risk designs and analyse building structures and will play a key role in the successful delivery of projects across their lifecycles, from inception to hand-over and beyond. You’ll deliver detailed, innovative and creative designs, drawings, specifications and design guidance notes using 3D software packages and will craft high quality written reports for internal and external audiences, always keeping an eye on deadlines and accuracy.
The core role is to oversee and coordinate the production of FRAs and provide professional advice for development projects in accordance with industry best practice and latest planning policy guidance, including sustainable drainage strategies for planning. We also provide due diligence flood risk advice to landowners and carry out flood studies and flooding investigations in the public sector, an area in which we are looking to expand further.
Working across boundaries as part of a fully integrated multidisciplinary team, you’ll have a great platform to present your ideas and designs. Ensuring health and safety and sustainability considerations are central to everything you do, you’ll liaise with architects, clients and the wider design team to create efficient and integrated structural solutions. You’ll also have the chance to develop your leadership skills by supporting junior members of the team and through the supervision of design staff.
This is an exciting time for Waterman as we continue to support the delivery of a net zero built environment, whilst our own journey to net zero also gathers pace. Our innovative and collaborative culture means that you’ll get to work with experts from across our business to develop your ideas, and you’ll have the chance to put all the latest sustainable design techniques in to practice.
We offer CIWEM and ICE accredited training programmes and full support and mentoring to allow candidates to fulfil their potential and aspirations to becoming Chartered or Fellows. Successful candidates will be provided with on-the-job training in technical and commercial matters. Training and opportunities in commercial project management, client relationship management, and business development will be offered to highly motivated candidates.
Although we’re happy to consider applicants with more or less experience, you’ll ideally have qualifications, experience or skills in the following areas:
- At least 4 years’ experience preparing FRAs and drainage strategies for public and private sector clients
- Recognising and communicating flooding and drainage related constraints and opportunities at development sites
- Producing and reviewing a wide range of FRAs and drainage strategies using MicroDrainage / InfoDrainage
- Good knowledge of the planning system, in particular policy and guidance including the NPPF and SuDS Manual
- Understanding of hydrological and hydraulic modelling principles, ideally with some experience with Tuflow, Flood Modeller and FEH
- Good financial control, project management and communication skills in a client facing role
- Mentoring junior staff
- Writing clear and concise reports
- Self motivation
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
Joining our team will give you:
- Competitive salary and benefits package with annual salary reviews
- 26 days holiday per year, rising to 31 days with loyalty days, plus bank holidays
- Hybrid working arrangements
- Fantastic training and development culture
- Access to mentoring support from industry experts
- Opportunity to play a key role in exciting and varied projects
- ICE Training Agreement
- Opportunity to be client facing and the chance to get involved with business development and marketing activities
- Fast-tracked career progression for the right candidates
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter explaining why you’d be a great fit for our team to firstname.lastname@example.org, or complete and submit the form below. All applications will be treated in confidence. Waterman is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity.
About Waterman Group:
Waterman Group is a multidisciplinary consultancy providing private and public sector clients with sustainable solutions to meet the planning, engineering design and project delivery needs of the property, infrastructure, environment and energy markets.
Waterman is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity.
*where a level of experience is indicated, this is a guideline only and represents the amount of time we would usually expect a candidate to accumulate the requisite level of experience. This does not preclude applications from candidates with more or less experience.