Sustainability Consultant / Senior Sustainability Consultant
Waterman is a leading engineering and environmental consultancy providing multi-disciplinary services to the property, infrastructure, energy and environmental markets around the world.
Due to an increasing and diverse workload an opportunity has arisen for a sustainability consultant to join Waterman’s Infrastructure and Environment team. Based in London, the successful candidate will have a fantastic opportunity to work on a wide variety of exciting projects in the urban regeneration, education, healthcare, property, waste, and energy sectors. The candidate should have a good level of sustainability knowledge and also understand the dynamic and ever changing demands of delivering sustainable solutions.
Core responsibilities of the position include:
• Develop and deliver sustainability strategies covering a wide range of topics (i.e. energy, water, waste, sustainable materials, responsible sourcing, biodiversity, community) to embed sustainable design principles throughout Waterman’s projects;
• Write sustainability statements and technical reports to support planning applications;
• Manage proactively the delivery of environmental assessments (e.g. BREEAM, Home Quality Mark, CEEQUAL);
• Provide practical advice on sustainability best practices and innovations to influence project teams internally and externally;
• Monitor project’s progress against sustainability objectives and targets;
• Liaise actively with client and project teams (attend meetings, take minutes and distribute actions);
• Contribute actively to internal team meetings;
• Support the team in writing fee proposals, pitches and presentations to win new business and build relationships with potential clients;
• Contribute to various initiatives including the development of new services and products
Requirements and skills
Candidates for this role will have between 3 and 6 years* of relevant work experience. The candidate will have:
• A degree in an environmental or engineering discipline, preferably to Masters level
• An ability to provide a holistic approach to sustainability in the built environment.
• Technical knowledge or strong interest within one or more areas of sustainability – energy, sustainable materials & responsible sourcing, carbon footprinting & LCA, climate change adaptation, green infrastructure, conservation, community, behaviour change;
• Experience in project managing the delivery of BREEAM assessments (Licensed BREEAM assessor with track record would be an advantage. Other qualifications would be of benefit – LEED, SKA, WELL, CEEQUAL etc;).
• Expertise in renewable energy, energy efficiency and passive design (desirable);
• On-site construction experience (desirable);
• An ability to convince and influence project teams.
• The capacity to work autonomously and proactively;
• Good organisational and project management skills;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Client-facing experience and client management;
• Attention to details;
• A Positive and proactive approach;
• A creative approach to problem solving;
• A curious and inquisitive nature and passion for sustainability.
The role offers excellent career progression opportunities within a friendly and professional team that has pride in the quality of the service it delivers to its clients, together with a clear vision for innovation. The benefits of the role include a competitive salary according to skills and experience, together with the ability to salary sacrifice on a wide range of benefits that meet your personal lifestyle choices.
Waterman is an equal opportunities employer.
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter to:
Chloe Pearse (Waterman Head Office)
*where a level of experience is indicated, this is a guideline only and represents the amount of time we would usually expect a candidate to accumulate the requisite level of experience. This does not preclude applications from candidates with more or less experience.