Dun Laoghaire Fountain

This cast iron fountain and canopy, erected in 1901 to commemorate the visit of Queen Victoria to Dun Laoghaire, and partially destroyed in 1981, was restored by Dun Laoghaire Harbour Company.

Project Details
  • Client

    Dun Laoghaire Harbour Company

We were retained to design, obtain tenders for, and administer the contract for a sensitive environmental upgrading scheme for the area surrounding the restored canopy.

The upgrading works included granite and limestone paving and steps, creation of a terraced area, seating, and tree planters further to rationalisation of existing congested underground services and street furniture.

A high degree of attention to detail was applied at the design stage and is reflected in the high quality of finish achieved by the contractor on site. Close liaison was maintained with Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council throughout the works, to ensure full integration of the scheme with Council plans for the area.

Related Projects

  • GPO, O’Connell St

    The GPO is the last of the great Georgian buildings in Dublin. The main building structure is in granite while the fine portico is constructed of Portland stone.

  • St. Mel's Cathedral

    We were appointed by loss adjusters acting for insurers to provide emergency engineering, carrying out the intervention, salvage and temporary protection and stabilisation works following the catastrophic fire damage at St. Mel’s Cathedral, Longford, which occurred on 25 December 2009.

  • Dublin Civic Offices & City Wall Restoration

    We acted as civil and structural engineers on the restoration of the Civic Offices basement.