Under the 2008 EU Air Quality Directive (2008/50/EC), targets to reduce key air pollutants need to be met by 2015. Despite progress in recent years, several air quality standards are still widely exceeded in many parts of the UK.
In response to this, many local authorities are now placing increased obligations on developers and site operators to minimise air quality effects from their operations, as well as ensuring that any new occupants introduced as part of a scheme will not be exposed to poor air quality.
At Waterman we recognise this issue and have developed a dedicated team of specialist air quality consultants who provide independent, expert advice and support on all aspects of air quality.
The benefits to our clients from our bespoke service include:
- Enhanced prospect for obtaining planning permission
- Clearly written and presented air quality assessments, which are technically robust
- Provision of mitigation solutions, when necessary
- A strong and approachable team, who will go the extra mile to provide advice and guidance
- A team that works closely with EIA managers and therefore understands the wider environmental picture
Our air quality core services include:
- Implementation of air quality monitoring programs
- Development constraint analysis
- Air Quality Impact Assessment (either as part of EIA or a standalone technical study)
- Qualitative assessment of demolition and construction dust/road traffic impacts
- Assessment of small scale heating plant
- Provision of design/mitigation advice
- Peer review of third party assessments
- Expert Witness/ Public Inquiry Evidence
- Discharge of planning conditions