The Clarence Hotel is Dublin’s premier boutique hotel, located in the heart of the Temple Bar cultural district on Wellington Quay overlooking the River Liffey. Originally constructed in 1852, and operated as a hotel from that time, it was well past its prime when acquired by its current owners in 1992.
Waterman Moylan was appointed by the new owners to provide structural engineering services for a major upgrade and refurbishment of the hotel, including extensive layout changes to the existing hotel building.
The refurbishment included the construction of a new penthouse fifth floor, incorporation of adjoining buildings into the hotel, and construction of a three-storey extension over existing low-level structures to the rear of the main hotel block. The extension was suspended from a cantilevered truss, incorporated at roof level into the new penthouse structure, to avoid the need to construct support columns and foundations through the listed low-level building beneath.
Conservation engineering techniques were used throughout for restoration and modification works.
Architect: Costello Murray Beaumont