This cast-iron fountain and canopy, erected in 1901 to commemorate the visit of Queen Victoria to Dun Laoghaire and partially destroyed in 1981, was restored by Dun Laoghaire Harbour Company.
Waterman Moylan was retained to design, obtain tenders for, and administer the contract of, a sensitive environmental upgrading scheme for the area surrounding the restored canopy.
The upgrading works included granite and limestone paving and steps, creation of a terraced area, seating, and tree planters further to rationalisation of existing congested underground services and street furniture.
A high degree of attention to detail was applied at the design stage and is reflected in the high quality of finish achieved by the contractor on site. Close liaison was maintained with Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council throughout the works, to ensure full integration of the scheme with Council plans for the area.
Client: Dun Laoghaire Harbour Company